When starting the idea for my RILS project, I thought I would be able to use my church’s youth group. However, as life would have it, the youth group does not meet for another couple of weeks and I wanted to get some ideas on what I could do in collaboration. As my children (ages 16, 11, 8 and 7) have been the guinea pigs in several of my projects, I wanted to do something a little different.
Jennifer Tuttle is a fellow graduate student pursuing a Masters of Science in the Education Media Design and Technology Program at Full Sail University. I “met” Jennifer during our first class in which we joined a group with other members and named ourselves “Google Groupies” as we decided that during a project Google Hangouts was a place we would meet, see and interact with one another. Jennifer teaches in a middle school in Nampa, ID and offered one of her 7th grade classes to me to complete the RILS project. I live in Fort Myers, FL.
Collaboration/Teaching over the Net Live?
I was completely excited to do this as:
- My children wouldn’t have to submit to another one of my projects and
- It gave me the opportunity to research and test out some collaborative software application that could be used with middle school aged children, over the Internet, in a collaborative environment.
I choose Cacoo for the following reasons
- Cacoo is a free, user-friendly online drawing tool
- Points can be purchased to buy stencils although there are many for free.
- There are single license usages (typically for free) to team license on which everyone with an account can use the stencil on the team and access it.
- Allows you to create a variety of attractive diagrams such as:
- Site maps
- Mind maps
- Has library of stencils
- Variety of tools
- Alignment tools
- A background sheet which can be viewed while work on multiple layers
- There are freehand options
- Ability to insert pictures, links and videos for a multimedia presentation.
- Real-Time Collaboration
- Multiple users can share and edit one diagram simultaneously.
- Changes are shown on the sharers screen in real-time.
- Collaboration can be creative and productive as team members can plan and review cooperatively.
- Team members can utilize the chat inside Cacoo to communicate with one another
In working with Cacoo I found it easy to use, navigate and work with a template or start out on my own. I can see how effectively this can be used. I also noticed on Google Hangout there is an app to add it to the Hangout so you can see your team members as well as collaborate with them. I loved this tool and look forward to using it during my RILS project.